It's October time, and for most peeps, it's HALOWEEEN OOOOOOOOOOO. Yeah i can't do a good ghost impression on a generic font, lol.
As a result i decided to plan something special, and for those who were with me, got the chance to really go all out into a world of spooky sources.
Participants active from the last 5 rounds, got a chance to pick a word usually associated with Halloween, and the a VGM source that closely matches that word (Which is both a load of fun, but also a bit of a interesting challenge). As a result we ended up with 10 VGM sources!
Now that they've all been picked, they are all on display right here, for you to pick and choose. No source is off limits, go for the one that inspires you the most. To those who selected the sources, and to those who have just arrived, i want you to pick any of the 10 sources, whip up your DAW, and produce me a Spooktacular remix! You are not required to follow any set source. You can go for ones you like the sound of the most. I mean 10 sources is a huge selection.
All the standard MnP in regards to submission and remixing applies. For this round 2 of the rules have been relaxed, but only for this round, and it only applied to those who were selecting the sources. This being the 6th gen and earlier rule, and the big name franchise rule. THIS ROUND ONLY THOUGH, NEXT WEEK WILL BE REINFORCED AGAIN.
I would encourage you to submit for the 31st of October to co-inside with Halloween, however i don't know if this will be physically possible for some, since it's not so far away, so the 7th of November will be the real deadline.
For this round you can remix more than one source from the list, and to the source selectors, you can remix your own pick. DO LET US KNOW WHAT SOURCE(S) YOU'VE PICKED IN THE SUBMISSION NOTES OF THASAUCE, IT HELPS A LOT, THANKS.
Anyways i've rambled on, let's present the sources!
NOTE: All MIDI SOURCES WILL BE PRESENTED ON OCRENIX, FOR EASE OF USE.
Game: Ghosts 'n Goblins
Source - Stage 1
Game: Suikoden 2
Source - Gothic Neclord
Game: Secret of Mana
Source - Ceremony
Game: Vagrant Story
Source - Undercity
Game: Call of Duty Black Ops
Source - Dammed
Game: Killer Instinct Gold
Source - Spinal's Theme
Game: Super Mario 64
Source - Haunted House
Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Source - Mad Forest
Game: Chrono Chross
Source - Dead Sea/Tower of Destruction
Game: Darkstalkers 3
Source - Concrete Cave (Jon Tailban's Theme)
Deadline: 7th November @ 1PM
Closing Date: 9th November @ 1PM
Vote Ends: 16th November @ 1PM
MnP ARCHIVE - made by Trism
The goal of Compo: MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.
Rules for Picking a Source:
- All video game sources are limited to the 6th generation of video game consoles and earlier. This was due to community consensus, where people preferred to remix more retro games, than newer games. 6th generation includes: GameCube, Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast.
- I'm now restricting big name franchises (Such as Zelda and Mega-Man) to one source per year. This is to encourage more obscure games, that not many people will know about to be picked.
- Make sure you provide me both a video and a MIDI of the source in question.
- Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent.
- If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
- Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm.
- Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
- Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
- Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded. It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)