Congratulations to Wassup Thunder for winning the last round! As a result, he get's to choose this month's MnP source! Here's what he had to say about his pick:
"I'm picking the Ancient Grove from Spyro the Eternal Night (GBA). I remember getting this game as a present from a cousin, and was pretty impressed with Spyro's new moves. There was something immensely satisfying about the purple dragon going medieval and clawing your way through the stages almost like a savage beast. Which seems appropriate, as the Legend of Spyro trilogy seemed aimed at making Spyro a bit darker and more dramatic than his earlier, playful days. Though the games had mixed reviews, at least I'll always remember going WWE as Spyro.
The soundtrack also aimed for cinematic orchestra. This track a great air of mystery and budding adventure, with those harp arpeggios and strings swelling and fading out. Should be fun to work with!" - Wassup Thunder
GAME: Spyro The Eternal Night (GBA)
SOURCE: Ancient Grove
Deadline: 9th June @ 1PM
Closing Date: 11th June @ 1PM
Vote Ends: 18th June @ 1PM
MnP ARCHIVE - made by Trism
The goal of Compo: MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.
Rules for Picking a Source:
- All video game sources are limited to the 6th generation of video game consoles and earlier. This was due to community consensus, where people preferred to remix more retro games, than newer games. 6th generation includes: GameCube, Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast.
- I'm now restricting big name franchises (Such as Zelda and Mega-Man) to one source per year. This is to encourage more obscure games, that not many people will know about to be picked.
- Make sure you provide me both a video and a MIDI of the source in question.
- Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent.
- If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
- Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm.
- Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
- Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
- Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded. It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)