I have posted a poll on the MnP OCR page that determines the future of MnP. If you want to vote on it, click here:
The last round yielded no results. I tried to prolong this for as long as possible, but it seems nobody is interested, so i eventually decided to move on. This was meant to be on the 1st of October, but i had a lot of commitments on, and also, i was stubborn enough to give it one more shot in hopes of receiving any entries, but it wasn't meant to be. I've finally managed to get my act together and prepare the Halloween special. Better late than never.
As you may know, October time means it's Halloween! So it's time to do another one of our Halloween special rounds! As i did with the last round, this is gonna be completely different, and it's gonna be one hell of a show. Let's see what we have in store!
Ok so in this round you will be tasked in remixing any Halloween based theme from any SONIC or MARIO game. This can be in the form of a level, a boss theme or even a track that's not a stage theme, but plays a significant role in the game. To help you here's what i'm looking for:
- Any musical piece that is a main proponent of any SONIC or MARIO Game, that is very spooky and embodies the themes and ideas of Halloween.
- The track must be a main part of the game. So no minor cutscene music, jingles, or small elements that don't make up the game.
- The music and the stage must be related to the concept of Halloween related items, like Ghost's and Vampires etc. I cannot accept normal video game music. It must be deliberately spooky.
- The track is an official part of the game, i won't accept Fan Hacks or Fan Made games.
- No crossover games. It's either a Mario source, or a Sonic source.
Any source from any genre, in any length is accepted. It just needs to be a Halloween type piece from a Sonic or Mario game.
These rules are there to ensure that this is a Halloween based round, and some user uploading a random Sonic remix, if you catch my drift. Halloween encompasses many ideas and traditions, so you will definately not be short on musical ideas.
Conditions in regards to submitting:
- None of the rules in regards to source/remix selection apply here, since it's a Halloween round, however the standard uploading rules for ThaSauce (20mb size, MP3 etc...) remain as normal.
- You can remix more than one source in this round, but i will only accept a maximum of 3 submissions.
- This round and any other special rounds bares no relation to any of the sister compo's and/or it's affiliates (Such as PRC
And that's it really. I'm here for any questions you may have, and i'm willing to guide you into opening up your own creative ideas for this round. There will never be a limitation of the music you can make that is based off the wonderful traditions of Halloween. Good luck guys, and remember to have fun!
Here's a concrete list to any levels featured in the SONIC series:
Here's a concrete list to any levels featured in the MARIO series:
MIDI files for Mario games:
MIDI files for Sonic games:
There isn't a database specifically for Sonic Games, but if you go to https://www.vgmusic.com/, find the video game system your game is from, and then scroll to your game you'll be able to find it. CTRL + F is also a good way to search for things.
Note: Make sure you write down the Game Name and the Source Name in the description so we know who did what. There is also no rules in regards to any duplicate sources. So i'm ok with 3 people doing the same source etc.
Because there were no submissions in the last round, Double Dose will not be applicable.
Deadline: 31st October @ 1PM
Closing Date: 2nd November @ 1PM
Vote Ends: 9th November @ 1PM
MnP ARCHIVE - made by Trism
The goal of Compo: MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.
Rules for Picking a Source:
- All video game sources are limited to the 6th generation of video game consoles and earlier. This was due to community consensus, where people preferred to remix more retro games, than newer games. 6th generation includes: GameCube, Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast.
- I'm now restricting big name franchises (Such as Zelda and Mega-Man) to one source per year. This is to encourage more obscure games, that not many people will know about to be picked.
- Make sure you provide me both a video and a MIDI of the source in question.
- Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent.
- If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
- Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm.
- Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
- Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
- Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded. It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)