One Hour Compo - Round 491 (OHC491)
Mar 08, 2018 daisu64
Misael K because i love the piece. it is a good.
RSK because the piece seriously struck me as distinctive and unique
Mar 09, 2018 Miyolophone
garlagan: chords are incredible and you really captured the mood of that picture. also the scream-glitch made me laugh/scared
luny: how do you have time to harmonize in an ohc wtf
also shoutout to luau for a really weird and awesome entry!! probably the most intriguing one i heard and deciding not to rank it here was only after quite some deliberation
Mar 12, 2018 Random-storykeeper
Exponentially Replicating Oneself
you are a sprout, i'll be your sun
What is it like to be a Seedling?
I don't think I've ever had to make a list of all the entries in a compo and constantly shuffle it around until this compo. Not since...OHC 400? What I'm saying is that picking a top 3 was tough.
1) "Exponentially Replicating Oneself" - Of all the entries, this was the one that worked for me in all aspects. I absolutely love the pitched percussion that comes in at 0:40. Compositionally, I loved the way this piece flowed, and I loved the feeling of pulsation of the first and sometimes fourth beats. The swelling chords/pads make me think of growth and the whole piece has an outdoorsy, sunny vibe, which works great with the theme, in my opinion.
2) "you are a sprout, i'll be your sun" - I love how simple yet effective this is, emotionally. The choices made, vocal-wise, worked pretty well, especially with all the different voice layers being slightly delayed or harmonizing with each other. It all felt very "earthy". The guitar was absolutely on point.
3) "What is it like to be a Seedling?" - I went with Koekepan for my third choice because for the most part, the sound elements work great in this and the composition makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a garden, or just...some area with lots of plants. There were a couple of instruments that made me think of aliens, for some reason? Perhaps that was just me. :P But the overlying idea of this piece was really effective at painting the nature/garden scene.
And here are some other serious contenders:
- "Something meaningful" by GreyHooves
- "bloom" by Miyolophone
- "seedlings" by johnfn
- "Route 6401" by daisu64
- "See you soon!" by LunacyEcho
Mar 13, 2018 GreyHooves
Miyolophone : You made quite an epic piece here. Very nice mixup with the Orchestral to Chiptune segments
RSK : I really like how reminiscent of Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire 3 this tune was at the beginning. The Violin and flute were also excellent choices for the theme
Mar 15, 2018 Misael.K
Miyolophone: so much emotion! is this a movie about a sprout?
coolgreenapple: love the gentle guitars with the vocals.
Special mentions to johnfn and Random-storykeeper. I want more voting slots.
awesum: coolgreenapple, daisu64, garlagan, johnfn, LunacyEcho, Miyolophone, Random-storykeeper.
good: Arcana, DarkShadow, GreyHooves, luau, Patashu.