One Hour Compo - Round 406 (OHC406)
Jul 21, 2016 Koekepan
Misael.K got the big '80s sound, and did it with charm. That deserves a win.
Random-storykeeper's Poignant Thunder had a lovely motion to it. It swung. I would love to hear what Random-storykeeper could do with a sophisticated tool such as a Kronos.
Mutsugi was such a solid piece that it beat out the rest, although it was less solid in mood terms than either of the two ahead.
Jul 21, 2016 sincx
2. doggy!! ^.^ now i am just imagining a cute doggy running around in a violent thunderstorm and it seems so odd yet beautiful at the same time
3. really well done too, 1:30 on stands out especially. those backing vocals are impressive
Jul 28, 2016 Random-storykeeper
In the Temple of Storms
OHC 406 Current Events
todays weather forecast calls for questionable decisions
2) "OHC 406 Current Events" - The more I listened to this one, the more thematic I felt it was. Something about the attack on the higher notes doing a call and response with the lower notes made me think of the sky signalling a coming storm and the earth sort of responding to that. I also love how it feels like it gets faster and more urgent, up to the end.
3) "todays weather forecast calls for questionable decisions" - This piece is wonderfully constructed; I love the weird 13/8 metre and how at times, it's not even noticeable until I actually start trying to count the beats. The piano is wonderful in this. Maybe not the most relevant to the theme imo, but still very well done.
- "Braving the Storm" - Very nice ambience, a little too slow of a buildup for me. The additions to the layers are good, and I especially love the last 36 seconds. I felt like these needed to come in sooner, and that could allow it to develop further.
- "Mutsugi" - I like the interesting sounds here. Really pretty chords against the hardness of the continuum.
- "Frozen Mist (WIP)" - I dig the music box sounds, but I wasn't really a fan of the percussion, particularly the kick.