One Hour Compo - Round 400 (OHC400)
Jun 09, 2016 Koekepan
Froggy Fresh is also fantastic. Suzumebachi is funkier than three day old fish. No complaints at all (except that I just happen to be less of an adherent of funk).
Amphibious Perils is the chiptune representation - but suddenly blossoms into considerable rhythmic and harmonic/melodic interest. It's a lot more sophisticated than it looks at first glance, with layers on layers.
I wish I had half a dozen votes - taking it down to three is a real disservice to so many great entrants. What a round! Fully worthy of the milestone.
Jun 11, 2016 NickC
Jealous Of My Ride
Here Comes that Graverobbit on a Unicamel
Misael - nailed the theme. I'm a frog on a (mono/bi)cycle!
zyko - groove in the first half is gangster and I like how this evolves with the more capricious ambience towards the end
Jun 13, 2016 Random-storykeeper
In the end, I picked:
1) "Froggy Fresh" - This totally worked for me, both humourously and thematically. The vocals are amazing - they're funny because they almost sound "croaky", but at the same time, it ties in perfectly with the accompaniment. The musical solo near the end was just unbelievable - how could you even make this in an hour? I dunno like, I just love this the more I listen to it.
2) "One Frog's Journey" - You really captured the feeling of adventure in this entry. And also, as I've said before numerous times, I'm a sucker for RPG themes like these. I love the sudden shifts from the lighter sections to the more intense, epic parts. I kinda feel like it developed a little too fast at the beginning, but from the middle to the end, you nailed it.
3) "PK dat boi" - This is fun, and really cute. It reminds me of Haunt the House music, or maybe something I'd hear in a silent film. It's very short in length, but I think it manages to capture the sort of carefree aspect I get from the images in the theme.
Here are the entries I wanted to vote for as well:
- "to bcome 1 w/ dat boi, u must..........rave??.....liek dat boi"
--> You said you had fun, and it really comes through in this piece. I love how you play around with the rhythms and chords. The metre changes are super subtle in this and all the strange sounds are so wonderfully intriguing.
- "The ballad of dat boi"
--> I love the somber atmosphere produced by the hums in the background. And that was quite an...interesting ending, dare I say. :P
- "Nine-Bit Nebula"
--> It sounds exactly like you would expect from a really good DDRKirby(ISQ) song. Not that that's a bad thing, of course!
- "Frogfucius and the Unifunk Chronicles"
--> That bass is absolutely sick and I love it.
- "Frogs on a Bike"
--> The lightness of the lead instrument gives a dream-like, floating quality overall. The fadeout ending was such a copout, though. :P
- "ＯＨ ＳＤＢ"
--> This is some awesome EDM meme music, I'll tell ya.
- "Farewell Song of the Great Amphibian Extinction"
--> It's really good "amphibient" music. (hahaha...) The minimal instruments that play throughout this tie in well with the nature sounds.
- "Jealous Of My Ride"
--> The glistening notes and percussion remind me of the wheels of a bike turning, so I think you got that aspect of the theme down. I like the overall "everyday routine" feeling I get from this piece overall.
In the grand scope of things, this was a really fun compo and there were tons of amazing entries that made voting tough. It was the first '00 compo I've ever been to and it was super awesome. Thanks everyone! ~
Jun 15, 2016 Acuity
DDRKirby(ISQ) - Awesome, as expected. I really like the melody in the middleish part!
I Am Dumb-zu-ra - I liked your other one, but but I liked this more. Maybe I like vaporwave??
Others (So many good songs bawwhhh):
BrandonS - Fitting vocals + guitar, has a western road trip vibe to it.
inversephase - Fun chord progression, reminds me of mario party minigame music.
starla - Your voice is lovely, as always.
Random-storykeeper - Really nostalgic melodies ahhhh. Vaguely reminds me of some of the Undertale battle songs, too!
Shitbird - Really reminds me of desert levels in games.
Arcana - I have a soft spot for 6415, and the melodies that went with it were good!
mcmiagblackmanisgod - Dat outro trap!
Jun 16, 2016 Misael.K
Suzumebachi: wow, this entry rocks. Super polished, very fun, and much exquisite.
A-zu-ra: a both silly and serious entry, that fits the theme super well. Good, solid EDM! Bonus points for the vaporwave entry.
Flik: I love the tone in this, super chill. The singing could do some work, but I really liked this overall.
super awesome: A-zu-ra, Flik, Forty-Two, starla, Suzumebachi.
awesum: BrandonS, DDRKirby(ISQ), Dhsu, Gario, jmr, NickC, obScene, Shael_Riley, zyko.
good: Acuity, Arcana, AutomaticJack, inversephase, jarski, Koekepan, mcmiagblackmanisgod, Patashu, Random-storykeeper, sci, Shitbird, Takeshi64.