One Hour Compo - Round 395 (OHC395)
May 06, 2016 Koekepan
Distant Solace captures the lush liquidity of both scenes well.
Good night, fight well is a very nice snippet of music that has thematic connections in addition to a certain captured wistfulness of spirit. Its main weakness is that it doesn't end cleanly.
Delight is a good track, although something about the bass drum seems a little out of place for the theme.
May 09, 2016 Random-storykeeper
2) "Mysteries of the Sunset" - This totally reminds me of "Black Sewage" and "Lakeside Lull" from Rip, and I love it for that reason alone. The chill atmosphere set by this piece is great; the instrument for the melody is also good. The panning in the chords at the beginning kind of bothers me, but when the rest of the music kicks in it's fine. And for some reason, that panning is not evident when listening to this on my PC.
3) "Escaping Hills of Fire" - I love the mixing in this; the guitar and the bass shine through here as they should. It has that "driving on a highway alone" to me, which I think nails what you're trying to capture. Great job; most solid Arcana entry I've heard in a while.
Honourable mentions / other pieces I like:
- "Distant Solace" - Another really good entry; this reminds me a lot of your OHC392 entry, but I like the soundscape here more. I just found it a bit too repetitive for my taste (but nice chord progression).
- "Delight" - Some things work well here toward the middle-ish end. Particularly the bit at 3:07; the higher notes are an absolute "delight", might I say, along with the slides in that lead. Aside from that though, the overall sound design was just...confusing to me. The percussion is a bit too heavy and takes away from the "calming" feeling that the music is trying to bring. I dunno; maybe that's just my beef with it. :P
- "deehoogee" - The bass here is just awesome. That is all.
May 12, 2016 Misael.K
Random-storykeeper: this entry is too short! It starts developing super well, at the right pace, until 0:57 when the main lead comes in, where the song ends somewhat abruptly. Still, I think it was super good.
obScene: saddest entry! I think this could've been longer. I really like the mood.
TinyCastleGuy: this was another pretty entry, that I thought lacked a bit of focus, so to speak. There's the pretty landscape, but it kinda stays too motionless. Haha, it's kinda hard to explain! Maybe I was just expecting more sections, I guess.
awesum: NickC, obScene, Random-storykeeper, TinyCastleGuy.
good: Arcana, jarski, Koekepan, Patashu, starla.
May 12, 2016 TinyCastleGuy