One Hour Compo - Round 388 (OHC388)
Mar 17, 2016 Koekepan
Late Blossom was also a nicely assembled piece of work. Unsophisticated, but generally thematic.
The sonic quality of Lightblossom Forest was very successfully illustrative, but lacked direct connection with the theme in the same way that the others did, so it had to take third place.
Mar 23, 2016 Misael.K
Random-storykeeper: I'm a sucker for delays and pretty entries. I like the soundscape here very much.
Arcana: this starts a bit weak, but after the beat kicks in, something magical happens and everything harmonizes beautifully. I'm not sure how to explain this better than that, haha.
NickC: a lot of very pretty things happening here, and some small annoyances that hinder that beautiful thing you're crafting. The buzzy bass gives a lot of punch, but it's also tiresome at times. The unquantized / unfocused melodies also happen to be slightly off-putting, because they kinda clash with those super pretty background sounds.
awesum: Arcana, NickC, Random-storykeeper, Shitbird.
good: Koekepan, Patashu, sci.
Mar 24, 2016 Random-storykeeper
1) "OHC 388 Lightblossom Forest" - This is too lovely to not get a first place vote. There's a delicateness to the lead which is pretty. I enjoyed this entry thoroughly!
2) "Madame Tulip" - That piano intro is very sweet. I admit I would actually like to hear the lead be brought out a little more, but the accompaniment is really nice. That one bit with the synth bass (2:43) or whatever just really made me think of the soundtracks to classic Nitrome games so maybe a bit of my reason to love this comes from the sake of nostalgia. :P
3) "Growgarden" - I liked this a lot, especially the introduction. When the guitar kicked in, however, it started to veer away from my interpretation of the theme. Though I like how the intro motif can be heard at the end, and the guitar didn't sound musically bad or out of place, I guess.
Other entries I considered voting for:
- "reincarnation" - Possibly more in tune thematically, but that grating bass stuck out like a sore thumb. I like the weird notes everywhere though.
- "Microscopic Feelers" - I think this is great and you make the guitar suit the theme in an unusual but interesting manner. I just wish this would have been more complete - it ended just as it was getting started!
- "Life of a Plant" - The ideas at the beginning and end work well for me. That middle though...sudden volume spike!