One Hour Compo - Round 383 (OHC383)
Feb 11, 2016 Arcana
ethansight for the quality of the track and the melody. Yes let's hear all of the sepia in there.
NickC for the tribal drums and the really strong adherence to the theme.
gercr for the theme adherence as well as the really great playing. Really like the call and response that you have going.
Seriously considered RSK, MisaelK, Koekepan for voting as well. Also enjoyed sci and Patashu.
Feb 11, 2016 Koekepan
gercr's guitar is tasty and fluent, varied and clear, well integrated with the other sounds.
ethansight's song opens with excellent synths. The drums kind of spoil the thematic element for me, but the rest is very good.
Feb 15, 2016 Random-storykeeper
1) "The Sea Is My Brother" - From solid instrumentation and great notation, Misael.K manages to capture that vast, noisy yet calming feel of the sea. I can even sense a few human-like qualities in the music, which pairs well with the entry's description. There's a lot of different things to be intrigued by with every listen. The only minor issue I had was that the end chord doesn't conclude this piece satisfyingly enough.
2) "Just Above" - I love the simple, clean sound design and the melody is super pleasantly comforting. Sure it's really just one motif repeating over and over again, but the little variations and things make it so that it doesn't wear out so easily. By far this is the entry I wanted to listen to the most.
3) "Night Falls over the Fishers" - I wasn't really feeling the "sea" in this one, but I do love a good piano piece when I hear one. This one manages to capture that feeling of nightfall well enough, and I do like those little light "plinks" - they make me think of twinkling stars for some reason.
Other close contenders:
- "Calm before the storm" - There's a very calm feeling to the overall unsettling tone of this piece. Quite interesting, to say the least.
- "and the bag is in the river" - I liked the feel of this one for the most part, but that distorted guitar sound just doesn't work for me. I like the vocal bit though at around the one minute mark though.
Feb 18, 2016 Misael.K
ethansight: great work here, the flow is great and that guitar sound is on spot. I somehow feel this track is more akin to a "credits" song, in a this-is-it fashion, which doesn't seem to reflect the theme that much.
NickC, gercr and Patashou should be tied for third place!
Patashu: Of my three choices for third place, I chose this entry because it most closely resembles what I imagined the theme to be. Also, VRC7 has great sounds that really shine here.
awesum: ethansight, gercr, NickC, Patashu, Random-storykeeper.
good: Arcana, Koekepan, sci.