One Hour Compo - Round 378 (OHC378)
Jan 07, 2016 Koekepan
Fade to Black is good stuff, but I felt as if the sound design could have been used to better effect. Something about the compositional style and sound design didn't seem to match well.
MisaelK wins for the most organised and yet most artistic mix of the lot. Well done!
Jan 13, 2016 Random-storykeeper
1) "Into The Other Side" - There's lots of great moments everywhere; it feels very cinematic to me, and every different idea flows well. I gotta say, I love the part when that choir comes in at ~4:26.
2) "Uncanny Void" - This has a lot of contrast, but while very interesting, was also random and a little less focused. The sounds at 1:36 to 1:49 really captured that unsettling feeling of the unknown beckoning from the darkness.
3) "Into the Light" - Although this is quite uniform in instrumentation choice, I like the play with the dynamics. I feel the supporting instruments capture "light" while the guitar evokes some of the shadows. The beat and pacing are also nice.
- "And when I saw the light I stepped inside and fell" - I think this captures the theme appropriately with its instrument choice, but it feels like it relies too much on the instrumentation alone to evoke the theme rather than also capturing the theme notation or musically(?). Sometimes sound design alone can be enough to make a piece really stand out, but to me, most of the entries this week succeeded in having a great sound design (as said earlier) so it was a tough call.
- "another short famitracker experiment" - This was cute and quite well put together for a short piece. The lead kind of gets a little lost in the accompaniment, but it's still pretty good.
Jan 14, 2016 Misael.K
And when I saw the light I stepped inside and fell
Fade to Black
Random-storykeeper: this feels heavy, the slight distortion on the master really gives it that quality of "something wrong" that the song conveys.
NickC: good atmospheric piece, although the ending was too different from the rest of the track.
awesum: Forty-Two, Koekepan, NickC, Random-storykeeper.