One Hour Compo - Round 375 (OHC375)
Dec 17, 2015 Koekepan
aptbr's Web is a strong piece, and as remarked at the time, very spidery. True to the theme, it is a strong contender.
MisaelK's Intricacy of Design is also well constructed, but I admit that while it's very true to the theme, it seems to lack clear development or tension that draws it forward. Still, it would work as an ambient piece alone, but the rather aggressive drums reduce that possibility even despite the clear presence of the pad-rich background.
Dec 21, 2015 Random-storykeeper
As for my votes...I had a tough time picking the top three, mostly because a lot of the entries, for me, tied in first, second and third place. I wasn't sure if I should just pick the better of each "set" or simply rank them as a group of favourites.
1) "Light, Fog and Silk" - This is ambient and brilliant, and so fitting to the description it is accompanied with. It may not be the most musically memorable out of all the entries, but it thinks vast - and feels suspended and damp. Also, man, eight minutes. That's pretty commendable.
2) "Web" - A very intriguing piece; feels quite nature-y to me in a unique way. Like clockwork, but in nature. I can definitely see this fitting the theme. And the sound design is impeccable.
3) "Intricacy of Design" - I like how it follows a pattern. To me, it captures the fine inner details of the two pictures. This would have ranked higher, but I wish it had a little more variation in the chords, or pitch changes maybe? - it relied a little too much on the same motif but with tons of noise being added in. The percussion also wasn't really clicking with me - it felt too heavy, and every kick in to where the music repeats just sounded like a huge *Here we go again!* moment. Still a very good, structured idea musically, though.
- "Bound In Silk" - I actually really wanted to vote for this one because I love that lead and how it just constantly builds up in a disturbing, ominous manner. The only things were that the lead gets drowned out (as I think you did address in IRC) and the constant buildup of noisiness does make it a little more removed from the theme.
- "Crystal Castle" - Nice instrumentation. The last twenty seconds went in a strange but interesting direction.
- "web of FX" - EXTremelY wet and glitchy. Totally crazy. It's awesome.
- "OHC 375 Dire Resurgence" - There's so much power and drive in this. It's quite cool.
- "bleh 6" - ehhhhhh this is fascinating i like
Dec 24, 2015 Misael.K
NickC: I love the textures here. Everything's so rich and tasty. Liked this one a lot.
Koekepan: super soothing entry. Maybe a bit long, though. I think there's some nice ideas here, dispersed through the 8 minutes that this lasts.
awesum: aptbr, Hollow, Koekepan, NickC, Random-storykeeper.
good: bleh, Patashu, sci.